Sunday, July 19, 2015

Blessings Abound

Life is a journey that takes many twists and turns.  We often experience mountain top highs but we also experience many valley lows.   Do blessings abound in both places?

Our natural inclination would be to say real blessing comes when life is good, when everyone is getting along, when we are treated with love and there are no problems.  Oh how blessed we feel at those times.  Often though,  it's in those times, we don't acknowledge the "blessing" and take what we've been given with no regard to the Giver.  Taking it all for granted, as it were.

I have learned in my own life, that it's almost always in those deep valley's that I'm blessed beyond measure. It's in those times that I realize or should say, remember, who the Giver of all good things is.  But, what is "good?"  Is "good" when life is the way we expect it be?  Is "good" when we have everything we want?  Or is "good" when we accept from the Hand of God what He gives us in that day? 

Trusting God and believing He is a faithful God is easy when God's Hand of blessing is upon us and life is good.  However, trusting God and believing He is a faithful God is not so easy when what comes our way is not exactly what we would call "good!"

"The Lord directs a persons steps.  Who are we to understand His ways?"  Proverbs 20:24.  I don't know about you, but knowing the Lord is directing my steps helps me better to trust in Him.  I don't necessarily see the "good" but I do know that He is a good and faithful God so trusting Him as He leads me is easier when I remember that.

I have found that when I focus on the blessings that abound in my life, I can truly see the Hand of God on this life He gives.  When I count my blessings and name them I can truly "see" faithfulness and love.  Even when life is hard, I can look and find blessings and then name them.   A curtain blowing in the breeze, the sunrise and the beauty God gives, a grandchild's hug, a refrigerator with food in it, a pillow to lay my head on, ....and the list can go on and on. 

I have found that this truth in Job 1:21, "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away" is what has to be central in my mind and heart.  His ways are not for me to understand but His blessings abound all over my life and I have to always be looking for them.  When I pay attention and stop taking for granted all He does in love, the blessings truly do abound and they are everywhere. 

I am so very thankful and even when I don't understand, I can trust our God because I know He is faithful.  Even when that which doesn't look like 'good' comes my way.  What I see as 'good' quite possibly is the worst thing I could want for.  God sees the whole picture.  I don't. 

So, as He gives and blessings abound in my life, I will trust our good God that gives.  He is faithful and He has a perfect plan for my life.  What that all entails, I don't know, BUT, He does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment