Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Joyful

I haven’t written a blog post in a while and I usually don’t write one until I “feel” filled up inside with lots of words that need to come out.  Today is that day.

My heart and mind are full.  Full of words...full of Joy and full of so many thank you moments.  In this world that is crazy and unprecedented during this COVID time, I am joyful.  I am not joyful over sickness, death and sadness.  I am not joyful because so many have lost jobs and there is so much uncertainty.  I am not joyful that houses of Worship have been closed because of COVID spreading.  None of these things bring joy to me.  I see fighting amongst friends in the name of politics and I see fighting amongst politicians on who is right and who is wrong.  Nope, doesn’t me bring joy at all.

As we walk through this uncertain time, I remind myself that COVID or not, nothing on this side of Heaven is ever certain.  Nothing.  This “time” is just another reminder that uncertainty exists for us all.  “Here today, gone tomorrow,” as it were.  I am reminded  in the Book of Job, that “the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the Name of the Lord.”  (Job 1:21 ESV).  Am I joyful when uncertainty exists?  Am I joyful when the Lord has “taken away” from me?  No, I’m not.  At least as far as earthly joy goes.  But I am joyful.  Joyful because I know who is Sovereign over it all.  I am joyful because whatever uncertainty comes my way I have a Savior who never changes.  He is always the same, yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8 ESV). He reminds me, in His Word, that this certainly is not the end of the story.  He reminds me, in His Word, that I have a job to do.....we all have a job to do.  We need to proclaim the Gospel to the ends of the earth and “love our neighbor as ourself.” (Matthew 22:39). We need to share the joy of having a Savior who died for our sins and rose again on the third day.  We need to share the hope that is only found in Him .  He, Jesus, is our Peace.  (Ephesians 2:14).   This brings me joy...it brings me purpose...it brings certainty to my heart.

As I think on these last few months and the totally different way of life that has existed in some shape or form for us all, I can think of so many reasons to be thankful.  Technology has brought us together in ways we never could have imagined.  Worship and Bible study could still happen.  Different, yes, but it happened nonetheless.  “Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ” (Romans 8:38 ESV) - no nothing.  Where the Word exists, there He is.  I am reminded, in that certain Word, that my God is surprised by nothing.   “God works for the good of those who love Him and were called according to His purpose.”  (Romans 8:28 ESV).   Our God is faithful and His plan is perfect.  Through death, sickness, job loss or any other calamity, my God...our God...is here.  The world can take from me what it will, but no one can take my Jesus from me.  My salvation and hope is in Him and Him alone and this brings my heart joy.

I am thankful that God’s Word touches hearts and brings people to Him.  His Word, it is transforming and  “never returns void - always accomplishing what it was purposed to do.” (Isaiah 55:11 ESV).  If I have nothing at all....nothing...yet have Jesus, I have everything.

I pray His Word touches you and your heart.  Let Him in... “He stands at the door and knocks.” (Rev. 3:20 ESV). This world...it is only temporary.  Our pain and our sadness will end.  One day, every tear will be wiped off of our faces  and there will be no more sickness, death, sadness or mourning.  (Rev. 21:4 ESV)

This world.....beautiful and ugly.  This world....uncertain with a certain future. This world brings me joy because I am not “of this world” but just journeying through.

Yes, I have joy and I thank God, for giving me “the peace which passes all understanding.” (Phil. 4:7 ESV). Trust Him with your life and your circumstances.  You can.  He is faithful and just to do everything and all for His Glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment