Sunday, September 18, 2016

In The Desert

God.....family.....friends....sunshine.....green grass.....flowers.....music.....  They are what bring my soul happiness. (oh I forgot one thing....CHOCOLATE.) :-)  They are what brighten my soul.  But, often the happy, pretty things of life are not "where" we are at the time.  Our minds are elsewhere.....our happiness and joy have "left" for a time......the "desert" is where we find ourselves.  

The "desert".....a place that is ugly.  A place that is dark and dry.  The place none of us ever like to be.  However, there are times, we are there.  Sometimes we don't know how we got there and sometimes we do.  Regardless, it's never the place that brings out our best.  It's never a place that brings out our joy. It's the place, those ugly parts of us come out.  It's the place we are faced with those deep seeded feelings that we are none to proud of.  It's the place where we often "feel" God has abandoned us or doesn't care about us.  Not a fun place to be.  Not a happy place.

The "desert"......a place we have all occupied.  A place we may be in now or a place we will revisit at another time.  A place none of us can say we've never been in.  It's a place though, where we are brought to our knees....it's a place where we are humbled and want, more than ever, to "feel" God.....to "see" Him.....to be ministered too.  We cry out.  We seek His word....we bare our souls through prayer....and for some of us....we journal to get out what's on our heart.  As hard of a place that it is to occupy, it is in that place, the "desert,"  where we are brought face to face with ourselves.  It is the place where we come to realize, once again, that His LIVING WATER, is the ONLY thing that brings peace.  A place where we are once again reminded that His Love is true....His forgiveness is real and His grace is sufficient. (2Corinthians 12:9)  A place where He teaches us.  A place where we grow the most.  A place where, although very sad at the time, brings out our best when we drink from His living water, His Word, (John 7:37-38)....accept His free gift of grace and Praise and thank Him through it all.

This mornings devotion reading, appropriately spoke to my heart today.......


Psalm 73:23-28


 23 Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart
   and my portion forever. 

 27 Those who are far from you will perish;
   you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
   I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
   I will tell of all your deeds.


  If the "desert" is where you are......seek His face...He is there.  If the "mountain top" is where you are....seek His face....He is there too.  Wherever you are, rejoice......He is with you.  He is molding and shaping us.......He loves us and is the same God in the "desert" as He is on the "mountain top."  Let His love shine from each of our hearts no matter where we are.  We can love Him and share Him even when our hearts are going through the "desert."  Eventually, He brings us through it........and the sun will shine again......and the lessons He teaches us through it all, will open our hearts with much thanksgiving and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment